Cooking when you have a police officer in the family can be difficult! Even if you are fortunate enough to have your officer on a day time schedule the chances that he will actually get to eat dinner with you and the family are rare. My officer, Officer Hottie, works day shift but still doesn't get home until about two hours after we've eaten dinner so the meals I make need to taste good cold (as he is usually starving the second he walks in the door) and reheated (since I try to make enough to send with him to work the next day).


I hope you can find some meals here that your family will enjoy as much as ours.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Mountain Bars

I think some people call these No Bake cookies, but my mom always called them Mountain Bars so that's what I'm sticking with. The recipe is simple and awesome and most likely you already have everything you need in your cupboard to make them. Officer Hottie called and said he was bringing home a treat for me so I decided to make these for the kids so that I didn't feel guilty for not sharing. Yes. I'm that selfish.

You will need ...

2 c sugar
1/4 c cocoa powder (I used dutch processed)
1 stick butter (8 T)
pinch of salt
1/2 c milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 c peanut butter (we like chunky)
3 c oatmeal (quick cooking)


On a totally random side note did you know that if you buy peanut butter that needs to be stirred you can store it on it's lid for a bit and that lessens the amount of stirring required? It's a neat little trick that took me way to many years to figure out.

Put the sugar, cocoa, butter, salt and milk in a large pan over medium heat. Stir constantly and bring it to a boil.



Thank you my dear for your help. Please please don't burn yourself. I would forever feel guilty.

Bring the mixture to a rapid boil.
Boil for one minute.



Remove from heat and add the vanilla, peanut butter and oatmeal.



Remember that you just removed this boiling concoction from the heat. Remember that even though it isn't boiling, if it touches your skin, it will feel like it is. It happened once to someone I know. It may or may not have been me. 

Spoon the mixture, ever so quickly, onto waiting foil, or wax paper, or a cookie sheet or wherever else you like to spoon hot chocolate mountains of goodness.



Um...how's that for a great shallow depth of field shot? Thank you. Yes, I did it all by myself.

Here is a lame shot of the pan after I was done spooning. I took it to show you that I used two spoons, one large one and one small one, to get the size 'mountains' I wanted. Using the scoop with the large, scrape with the little method I got 26 cookies.



Let the cookies cool for about 30 minutes or so, until they have hardened and stay in one piece when you try to move them. 

You can keep the cookies in an airtight container on the shelf, but I like to keep them in the fridge. I guess I like cold cookies.

Oh, and in case you were wondering, this was my treat from Officer Hottie. So glad I didn't have to share. He got them from a local chocolatier who makes new chocolates everyday. The large one had a carmely filling. The shell had peanut butter in it, the truffl-y looking one had vanilla bean filling and the one with the pecan on the top was dark chocolate with pecans inside. I sat in bed with a glass of wine and savored every single one. I must admit, they took me to my happy place.


Click HERE for a printable version of this recipe

1 comment:

  1. I love your feeding a cop blog! What a sweet hubby to bring you chocolates. I love hearing the different names for these no bake cookies. I've never heard them called mountain bars. I hear "ape droppings" mostly. :)

    ReplyDelete