Cooking when you have a police officer in the family can be difficult! Even if you are fortunate enough to have your officer on a day time schedule the chances that he will actually get to eat dinner with you and the family are rare. My officer, Officer Hottie, works day shift but still doesn't get home until about two hours after we've eaten dinner so the meals I make need to taste good cold (as he is usually starving the second he walks in the door) and reheated (since I try to make enough to send with him to work the next day).


I hope you can find some meals here that your family will enjoy as much as ours.

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Chicken Enchiladas

I apologize for the length I am going between posts. I'm sure your families are starving as you sit faithfully by your computer, every day, just waiting, WAITING for Mama Hen to post something. Or not. I've actually realized my family and I eat a lot of the same ol' stuff. We are creatures of habit. I have resolved to be a little more adventurous ... hopefully you'll enjoy what you see.
Today's meal is chicken enchiladas. It's a recipe I truly made up all by myself. It stays well in the fridge, and reheats well in the microwave or oven.  
You will need ...

Olive oil
butter
Garlic
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 15 oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 onion, chopped
1 1/2 lbs (or so) chicken
diced green chilis
large can green enchilada sauce
12(ish) whole wheat tortillas
Cheese




For the chicken in this recipe I just used two breasts, plopped them in some water and brought it to a boil. When the chicken was cooked through I put it on a cutting board and using two forks, shredded it.
("Should't I get a picture with your wedding band in it?"Officer Hottie asks. He's so cute.)


In a skillet add the butter and olive oil. Then add the onion and garlic. Cook until tender. 



Once tender, add the cream of chicken soup and diced green chilis. You also need to add about 1/2 can of water at this point. You don't want it to be "soupy" but if it should be "saucy".


Add the shredded chicken. Here's where I cheat a little bit and add some other flavors my family likes. I usually add a bit more garlic powder, some onion powder, some chili powder and cumin. I like it to taste Mexican-y. I just add these flavors to taste so add as much, or as little, as you and your family like. 



Then add the pinto beans. Stir everything together and bring it to a low simmer.


While your "insides" are simmering, add a little bit of enchilada sauce to the bottom of a 9x13 pan. 


Take one tortilla ... 


Put some cheese in it ...


then add some filling. I use about 1/3 of a cup.


Roll two sides of the tortilla in ...


Fold up the bottom ... (look honey! My wedding band!)


And my trick to keep oozing to a minimum is to make a triangle at the top before folding it all the way down.


Then add it to the pan.


You may have a few extra. Good thing I had a pie plate just lying around.
 

Make sure to cover them with some more cheese and the rest of the enchilada sauce. It should be fairly goopy. I like goop.

 Bake these in a 375 degree oven, covered, for about 25 minutes, then take the foil off and cook for another 10 minutes until the cheese on top is brown and crispy. 


Since it is Sunday, I am feeling lazy and haven't gotten around to making a "printable" version. Sorry. Hope you can try these and enjoy them regardless!



No comments:

Post a Comment